[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - New One Use Hold Items

New One Use Hold Items

If you need help building your team, feel free to come here for advice!

New One Use Hold Items

Postby DragonsUmbra » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:30 am

What are your thoughts on these new items:
absorb bulb
cell battery
red card
air balloon

The only one I think would be useful is perhaps a Cell Battery Gyarados, as a one time protection from his biggest weakness, and an attack boost, letting him counter the electric type with an earthquake. I can't seem to think of any other really good uses for them. Anyone have any ideas?
I want a dark type Giga Impact
[imgi92]http://i58.tinypic.com/ri50s7.jpg[/imgi92]
DragonsUmbra
Two-Time Leader

Re: New One Use Hold Items

Postby Heleor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:39 am

I don't think Cell Battery actually absorbs the attack - it just boosts [bnij]if[/bnij] you survive.

I really like the Air Balloon. It's basically a free levitate, and allows you to switch into ground moves.
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 am

As Heleor said, as far as I know, Absorb Bulb and Cell Battery do not prevent damage. I've never used either, just going off what I've read someone else say. In that case, it could be handy for something that resists already to boost on a switch-in if you can predict it right. For example, throwing an Absorb Bulb on a Ludicolo and switching to it when you think a Water move is coming. It takes little damage and gets a boost from the Bulb.

Red Card could possibly be a gimmick on a wall if you rely on entry hazard damage, I suppose.

Air Balloon can be nifty on anything that would like to avoid Ground-type moves, plus it will avoid Spikes and Toxic Spikes. I know someone talked about using one with their Excadrill on here. I've been tinkering with it on another Steel type and it does come in handy, forcing someone to use another attack, often times resisted, to get it on the ground.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby GIJoe68 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Either way, getting a boost in attack from the cell battery would help a gyarados (provided it survived the attack). my question would be if a pokemon with motor drive held the cell battery, would it get both increases in speed and attack?
2x Challenger (Champion 2015)
2x Gym Leader
2x Elite
2017 Champion
GIJoe68
Two-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I believe not. From what I've read, it only gets the uses the item and gets the boost if it takes the hit from the attack.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Kai » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Kai
One-Time Leader

Postby Ktywf » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 pm

I had an Air Balloon on my Terrakion. It turned out to be particularly useful in very specific (though surprisingly common) situations where basically I could play around Earthquake users by switching him in and then going to Lucario when they tried to break the Balloon and then getting a KO with HP Ice. Also it made Terrakion a perfect counter for Excadrill because he could Rock Polish then outspeed Excadrill safely.
Prime '11: Brutus(Fighting)/Prime '12 Cyrus
White FC: 3525 5301 3399
Ktywf
One-Time Leader

Postby ReploidArmada » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Air Balloon-carrying Excadrills and Terrakions, amongst other Pokemon with large Ground weaknesses, outnumber those who do not carry a balloon. This is why Earthquake is not necessarily a safe move to use if you think you may be seeing a switch on that turn.

In other news, Waterfall > Excadrill.
3DS FC: 0146-9203-3788
PPL Prime '13 Champion #7
PPL Prime '13 Badges: Primal/Crownless/Earth/Wheel/Trust/Garish/Celestial/Rivals/Raider/Skull/Pride/Trick
ReploidArmada

Postby Kirogata » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Red card is amazing.

And the others from what I know do absorb the attack. Once. And cell batt is a spatk boost I thought? And it dosen't work with motor drive. The pokemon would have had to take damage for it to trigger, and iwth motor drive, that negates it. as with type immunitys.*it's great on a DD Gyra lead)
Kirogata/Lane/Leather/Gary M'fing Oak
Kirogata
One-Time Leader

Postby DragonsUmbra » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I want a dark type Giga Impact
[imgi92]http://i58.tinypic.com/ri50s7.jpg[/imgi92]
DragonsUmbra
Two-Time Leader

Next

Return to Team Building