Need help figuring out a team

If you need help building your team, feel free to come here for advice!

Need help figuring out a team

Postby DrKronus » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:08 pm

So, I was talking to Pine (Patrick) on Monday, at the last meetup, and I decided I wanted to go for being a gym leader, possibly league champion, at PAX West next year. I did it all a couple years ago, and I challenged the league this year and remembered how much fun it was. Anyway, I'm thinking of letting my Ground types have a rest next year and build a new team around a new theme. The theme is an Imperial Commissar from Warhammer 40k. For those who are unfamiliar, the Commissars are political officers who's duty is to encourage the troops and provide summary execution when an officer shows cowardice and take command of the unit. I was thinking a good military themed team, but so far only a few come to mind:

Mega Blastoise
This one had to be in there. He's got a goddamned artillery piece sticking out of his shell.

Skarmory
He's got the look of a fighter jet, and he's a good opener

Bisharp
I like him. He's tough and kinda man shaped.

Sharpedo
It's a missile!

Chansey
Every unit needs a medic

I'm not quite sure what else to include, but I'd like to emphasize the necessity for synergy. The whole shtick with the Imperial Guard is working together to overcome greater foes.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Dr. Kronus (Ground), PPL 2010
Dr. Kronus (Ground), PPL 2012
Dr. Kronus, Horizon Walker (all of the things!), E6 PPL Prime 2013

"Behold the sands of time! Behold your DOOM!"

Team Barry Smells
DrKronus

Re: Need help figuring out a team

Postby kirby4life » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:14 am

Well... I don't know if you care more for aesthetics or synergy but here's a team for you:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 136 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Haze
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

This guy will set up the rain for you. he should be one of the first pokemon to come out EVERY TIME. He is not to be battling unless you have no other choice. Switch him out ASAP to ensure the rain keeps going. He is built to tank hits like a boss, but he has no heal so keep that in mind. Haze is to counter set up, Surf for AOE/STAB, and Ice Beam/Psychic for coverage.

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Surf
- Rest

Seaking @ Expert Belt
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Drill Run
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off

Seaking has access to Lightning Rod which will soak up all Electric Moves and make Swanna's 4X weakness disappear. Drill Run to take out said Electric types, Waterfall for STAB, Knock Off for Utility/Damage, and Megahorn if you're feeling lucky. You can change the Expert Belt to a Wide Lens to make Drill Run and Megahorn more reliable. In turn, Swanna has Hurricane will make quick work of any grass types. Tailwind is to ensure the team can attack first, Surf for AOE/STAB, and Hydration + Rest = Full Restore as long as the rain is up. These 2 compliment each other well so It's best to keep them out at the same time.

Carracosta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Aqua Jet
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

When most people do a triple battle, they stack their team with AOE attacks to try and knock out as many pokemon at the same time as possible. That's where Carracosta comes in. Wide Guard will ensure your side will be immune to AOE damage. Stealth Rock if you think its safe, Aqua Jet to help pick off a pokemon, and Rock Slide for AOE/STAB. Even with Tailwind Carracosta is slow so, he is best used as Wide Guard spam till late game when all the AOE pokemon are gone.

Sharpedo @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Ice Fang

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dragon Pulse

These last 2 are your typical late game sweepers. They both have decent coverage and can deal with any threat plus they fit the military theme you're going for. I didn't really know what to give a none mega Sharpedo so I just tacked on a Sitrus Berry.

Honorable Mention:
Rotom-Wash @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Thunder
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Hydro Pump

Dual Screens to make your pokemons tank more, Thunder and Hydro Pump for STAB.

Hope this helped!! (>^~^)>
kirby4life

Postby Volucris » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:34 am

If you want a different jet, feel free to go one of the lati twins.
2014: Volucris the Venomous Poison Master
2015: Glade the Forest's Recluse
2016: Gaster the Unmade
2017: Flax the Bumbling Bug Keeper
2018: Mordecai Gentleman of the Bayou
2019: Rakan the Soaring Reveller
Volucris

Postby DrKronus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:50 am

On non mega sharpedo, I usually use a life orb and run protect in place of poison jab. This gives him a turn to amp up his speed, at which point there are few pokemon who can keep up.

Aesthetics are kind of important, though. If our "No More Heroes" team from the E6 this year is any indication, it's possible to have good synergy and aesthetics.
Dr. Kronus (Ground), PPL 2010
Dr. Kronus (Ground), PPL 2012
Dr. Kronus, Horizon Walker (all of the things!), E6 PPL Prime 2013

"Behold the sands of time! Behold your DOOM!"

Team Barry Smells
DrKronus

May your day be as sunny and beautiful as you are!

Postby harrisonskeby » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:17 pm

Pleased to witness this! Amazing information and the clarity of fine detail distributed is awesome!
Thank you everybody!
harrisonskeby

Return to Team Building