[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Golurk: Iron Fist vs. No Guard

Golurk: Iron Fist vs. No Guard

If you need help building your team, feel free to come here for advice!

Golurk: Iron Fist vs. No Guard

Postby Adritha » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 am

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which ability I want to breed onto a Golurk. I can see the benefits of each one, and have a moves picked out for each one. I'll probably end up breeding both in the end, but since I don't have the best Dittos to breed with, I'm focusing on just one to start with.

[upnp]Iron Fist[/upnp]- Ups punching, mainly STAB Shadow Punch. Easy to get since it's a standard ability. Since Earthquake is also a good STAB move, is it worth having both STAB moves for coverage?
[upnp]No Guard[/upnp]- No miss Dynamic Punch. EV trained right, it could serve as a good tank (?) able to take any moves that hit it due to NG. Sadly, I can't seem to get my hands on one so far.

What's been everyone's track record/experiences with each ability?
PAX South: Allie (Poison), Emi (Electric), Jen (Ghost/Objects), Ellie (Ground/Steel), Crystal (Ice, Elite)
Adritha

Re: Golurk: Iron Fist vs. No Guard

Postby kirby4life » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:21 pm

I have only ever used him on an Iron fist team. Here's the set I ran with the team having a 33% success rate.
[spoilerf05]Golurk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Thunder/Fire/Ice Punch[/spoilerf05]
Bulky defense to offset the slowness. Shadow Punch and Earthquake are your go to moves, Drain Punch for a bit of recovery, and pick an elemental punch for coverage. There's really not much else to say. Its not ground breaking in any way aside from being the only Pokémon who's Shadow Punch benefits from STAB and Iron Fist.
kirby4life

Postby Shade » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:04 am

I've got some no guard variants lurking around :)

It's the ability I vastly prefer, it's unlikely an opponent runs high-risk moves that would abuse the no guard ability-or if any that would that threaten golurk he's probably going to want to switch out for that anyhow. DynamicPunch is a beast of a move, and puts a lot of pressure on your opponent with confusion.
E12+P12: Berri, the Master Ranger+Maxie, Champion of the Land (E5)
E13+P13: Berri, the Dragon Ranger+Berri, the Traveling Ranger
E14+P14: Neuro of Aperture Labs+Co-cordinator
E15: Sorra of the Parched Pirates
S16, S17, S18: Peggy Pidgeot, Robin, Osono
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby E-Lo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Really depends on your team comp. One of each doesn't hurt, they both have slightly unique purposes. It is also worth it to mention that you get perfect accuracy Stone Edges with No Guard as well, which can help a lot depending on the tier you use it in. I am slightly more in favor of the Iron Fist variant since you bring more to the table movepool wise.
Prime 2013/West 2016: Travis Touchdown (E6)
Prime 2015: Auden (E6)
West 2017: Joker [P5] (champ)
Prime 2014/West 2018: Thomas Roe (E6)
West 2019: Rider
E-Lo
Four-Time Leader

Return to Team Building