[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Looking for some help with a team

Looking for some help with a team

If you need help building your team, feel free to come here for advice!

Looking for some help with a team

Postby Inspector_Spacetime » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:46 am

So, I am working on a concept team that I will probably be using at East this year (Hopefully as a GL again, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there). Anyway, I am having some difficulty deciding which Pokémon to use for some of the slots on my team. I don't want to spoil too much just yet, so I will leave things kinda vague-ish. I'll give some characteristics, and I just want to know what Pokémon you guys associate with them. Any help you guys give will be greatly appreciated, and don't feel like you have to give an answer for all of the slots. So, here goes.

What Pokémon comes to mind when you hear:
[spoileromh]1) Action, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation and power?
2) Education, authority, conservatism, obedience to rules and relationship with the divine?
3) Two paths life could lead to, and thus a symbol of standing at a crossroad and needing to make a decision? Alternatively, love and romantic relationships, although it can also be a symbol of finding agreement with an ordinary friend or even two conflicting elements within?
4) Victory, conquest, self-assertion, self-confidence, control, war and command?
5) Wisdom, introspection, solitude, retreat and philosophical searches?
6) Fate, luck, fortune and opportunity?
7) The morality about the stronger power of self-control, gentleness, courage and virtue over brute force?
8) Synthesis, prudence, harmony, and the merging of opposites?
9) Happiness, joy, energy, optimism, and accomplishment?
10) Realizing one's calling, gaining a deep understanding of life, and a feeling of acceptance and absolution?
11) Fulfillment, wholeness, and harmony?[/spoileromh]
I know that this is a lot to look for, and I know it's not an easy request, but I truly appreciate any help you guys can give.

P.S. If you can determine what my concept is just from this, I would appreciate it if you don't spoil it just yet. Kudos if you get it, but I don't want it out there just yet. Feel free to send me a message if you want to confirm it, and I will happily respond.

Thanks a bunch guys!
East 13, 14, 17: Hall of Fame
East 15: E7 Pro-Bending
East 16: GL Persona Tarot Arcana
East 18: E8 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
East 19: GL Golden Sun Doubles
East 20: GL Foxes
Unplugged 17, 18, 19, 21: GL Fairies
Inspector_Spacetime

Re: Looking for some help with a team

Postby Bluefreeze » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:21 pm

[imgtrd]http://i.imgur.com/7gpxdr9.gif[/imgtrd]
E15 - 8 Badges, 4 E7 Emblems - Hall of Fame Entrant
P15 - Talia
S16 - Delila
E16 - Professor Larch
S17 - Alanna
E17 - Celeste
Bluefreeze

Postby Inspector_Spacetime » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 pm

Inspector_Spacetime

Postby Goddin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:13 pm

5) Wisdom, introspection, solitude, retreat and philosophical searches? - [bzlv]Noctowl?[/bzlv]
9) Happiness, joy, energy, optimism, and accomplishment? - [bzlv]Togetic?[/bzlv]
3) Two paths life could lead to, and thus a symbol of standing at a crossroad and needing to make a decision? Alternatively, love and romantic relationships, although it can also be a symbol of finding agreement with an ordinary friend or even two conflicting elements within? [bzlv]Eevee?[/bzlv] - more than 2 paths, but you get the idea.
Goddin

Postby Goddin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:19 pm

These three are a bit more of a stretch.

1) Action, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation and power? [bemd]Mewto.[/bemd]
7) The morality about the stronger power of self-control, gentleness, courage and virtue over brute force? [bemd]Aegislash[/bemd]
10) Realizing one's calling, gaining a deep understanding of life, and a feeling of acceptance and absolution? [bemd]Tranquill[/bemd]
Goddin

Postby Volucris » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm

*cracks fingers* let's get to work!

1) Action, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation and power?
Some very different things here, manipulation for example calls to mind psychic types, Malamar maybe (always had a sinister vibe from him though). All the others however point towards a fighting type for me, I'd say Gallade or Medicham.

2) Education, authority, conservatism, obedience to rules and relationship with the divine?
Very Interesting one, relationship with the divine is something I've more worked into the backstory of my own PAX Gym this year in the form of a Virizion that protects and rules over a spiritual forest as something between a parent and revered/divine figure. Theoretically that last on could be any poke depending on how you do your story/names and whatnot. As for the others they all say Psychic again XD I agree with a previous post of Xatu, or Noctowl, or Beeheyem/Cladyol.

3) Two paths life could lead to, and thus a symbol of standing at a crossroad and needing to make a decision? Alternatively, love and romantic relationships, although it can also be a symbol of finding agreement with an ordinary friend or even two conflicting elements within?
Probably the trickiest one. Talk of love and friendship bring to mind Gardevoir (with the gallade selection you know I'm not biased...or anything o.O). But it is the embrace Pokemon, so for my it suits the second sentence best. For the first sentence...anything presenting two of something...ambipom's two hands representing two choices/paths...I actually think as said above, eevee is perfect for this. It is one big crossroads.

4) Victory, conquest, self-assertion, self-confidence, control, war and command?
Very interesting one, one of the only pokes that actively has power over others that I can recall is Honchkrow (The big boss XD). At least for the last few words. Victory indeed must go to Victini, but alas good luck using a poke like that in a gym :P Oh, or Vespiquen, on the same lines as Honch

5) Wisdom, introspection, solitude, retreat and philosophical searches?
Psychic again dude XD Perhaps Medicham, just cause meditation seems to be a thing for it.

6) Fate, luck, fortune and opportunity?
Hmm...Delibird? Purely because Present as a move can do a variety of things, so it comes down to luck/fate?

7) The morality about the stronger power of self-control, gentleness, courage and virtue over brute force?
Ok forget Gallade from the first post: GALLADE goes here. Absolutely.

8) Synthesis, prudence, harmony, and the merging of opposites?
Magneton I think....mostly the merging of oposites bit. Like, there are a few Pokemon that merge to become more than one of itself, but magnets involve opposites so that's my pick.

9) Happiness, joy, energy, optimism, and accomplishment?
The last few for me say Machamp (cause...accomplishment....and he's the champ....or something). Happiness is basically just blissey. I think it's the better pick here.

10) Realizing one's calling, gaining a deep understanding of life, and a feeling of acceptance and absolution?
Some deep stuff here dude XD And tricky for pokes. But actually...Kangaskhan. Being a parent is probably one of the only "callings" I'd see from Pokemon, other than to simply exist.

11) Fulfillment, wholeness, and harmony?
Snorlax XD for the first two..and maybe for the last one. He's just kinda chilled ^.^ Chansey/Blissey or Togetic/kiss could also be a thing.

*phew*, hopefully I helped a little! Pretty sure I know at least what the character you've got is about, MAYBE what/who they could be. I've got two ideas for next year and one of them actually directly opposes a lot of those traits XD That would be interesting. Happy to discuss your ideas in pm if you want (obviously to avoid spoilers), as I do love good character design ^.^
2014: Volucris the Venomous Poison Master
2015: Glade the Forest's Recluse
2016: Gaster the Unmade
2017: Flax the Bumbling Bug Keeper
2018: Mordecai Gentleman of the Bayou
2019: Rakan the Soaring Reveller
Volucris

Postby Adritha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:31 pm

1) Action, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation and power? [bbc9]Machamp.[/bbc9]
2) Education, authority, conservatism, obedience to rules and relationship with the divine?[bbc9] Celebi.[/bbc9]
3) Two paths life could lead to, and thus a symbol of standing at a crossroad and needing to make a decision? Alternatively, love and romantic relationships, although it can also be a symbol of finding agreement with an ordinary friend or even two conflicting elements within?[bbc9] I thought of Eevee as well. Also Gardevoir/Gallade. [/bbc9]
4) Victory, conquest, self-assertion, self-confidence, control, war and command?[bbc9] I agree with Victini.[/bbc9]
5) Wisdom, introspection, solitude, retreat and philosophical searches?[bbc9] Alakazam.[/bbc9]
6) Fate, luck, fortune and opportunity? [bbc9]Jirachi.[/bbc9]
8) Synthesis, prudence, harmony, and the merging of opposites? [bbc9]Any dual-type that is a dichotomy. Volcanion is the first that comes to mind, but he's not technically available so... Stunfisk?[/bbc9]
9) Happiness, joy, energy, optimism, and accomplishment? [bbc9] Blissey[/bbc9]
PAX South: Allie (Poison), Emi (Electric), Jen (Ghost/Objects), Ellie (Ground/Steel), Crystal (Ice, Elite)
Adritha

Postby Inspector_Spacetime » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:59 am

You see, this is why I freaking LOVE the PPL. Everyone is so helpful! Thank you all so very much. With your help, I've nailed down a good chunk of the spots and have things narrowed down significantly on the others :)

(If you still want to chime in, feel free to do so. I enjoy seeing other people's opinions, even if I don't end up using them)
Inspector_Spacetime

Postby Bluefreeze » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 am

[imgtrd]http://i.imgur.com/7gpxdr9.gif[/imgtrd]
E15 - 8 Badges, 4 E7 Emblems - Hall of Fame Entrant
P15 - Talia
S16 - Delila
E16 - Professor Larch
S17 - Alanna
E17 - Celeste
Bluefreeze

Postby Goddin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:06 am

A second look after seeing some of the answers other people gave - these are pretty darn good.

1) Action, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation and power? I love the idea of an old school fighting type here. Machamp, Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee would be great idea. Lucario also might fit the bill.
2) Education, authority, conservatism, obedience to rules and relationship with the divine? Xatu or Noctowl. Xatu has the totem pole divine connotation, Noctowl has a nice Athena tie in (goddess of education).
3) Two paths life could lead to, and thus a symbol of standing at a crossroad and needing to make a decision? Alternatively, love and romantic relationships, although it can also be a symbol of finding agreement with an ordinary friend or even two conflicting elements within? This is still eevee to me!
4) Victory, conquest, self-assertion, self-confidence, control, war and command? Victini is perfect. For a less legendary approach, how about Lt. Surge's Raichu?
5) Wisdom, introspection, solitude, retreat and philosophical searches? Allakazam is spot on here.
6) Fate, luck, fortune and opportunity? I agree with Jirachi, but Meowth, Ninetails, Absol, and Luvdisc all would work I think!
7) The morality about the stronger power of self-control, gentleness, courage and virtue over brute force? Gallade, Keldeo, Lucario and Aegislash. I like Aegislash as he is the shield courage over an attacking sword, but Keldeo and Gallade as sword of justice pokemon work well too - I think Lucario can have the ability justified and is usually a fighting/justice pokemon as well.
8) Synthesis, prudence, harmony, and the merging of opposites? The dichotomies would work, but how about Venasaur? He's a merging of plant and animal in harmony, slow and steady (prudent?) and he can use Synthesis!
9) Happiness, joy, energy, optimism, and accomplishment? Blissey or Togekiss
10) Realizing one's calling, gaining a deep understanding of life, and a feeling of acceptance and absolution? Meditite or Dragonite.
11) Fulfillment, wholeness, and harmony? Whichever you didn't use for 9. Also Arcanine, just because.
Goddin

Next

Return to Team Building