[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - EV training for a beginner

EV training for a beginner

If you need help building your team, feel free to come here for advice!

EV training for a beginner

Postby Lazydog313 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Im very, very new to this board, so if this topic is in the wrong location my bad.

I participated in the Pax East 2013 Pokemon League and made it out with 5 badges. One gym leader(cant remember names, sorry) suggested that i come here and learn about EV training. Can anyone help out with a break down of how it works. Thanks in advance
Lazydog313

Location: Somewhere in Jersey, where at.....well its a secret to everyone

Re: EV training for a beginner

Postby AGanoti » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Hey lazy dog
I'm not an expert at EV traing but it's really quite simple
EV training begins at birth. If you want perfect control over your Pokémon’s EVs, you’ll want to start from the minute they’re born, when their EVs are still a blank slate. Breed Pokémon in order to get eggs in your desired nature that you can raise and train to be the best! There are several ways to go about this the easiest is super training located on the touch pad just get your desired Pokemon then click on the bottom left soccer ball and choose which stat to train! Each Pokemon get 510(I think) 252 per Pokemon after they are fully trained just level them up that's the easiest way I can think of! Good luck and if I made a mistake I'm very sorry good luck at pax hope to see you there
FC: 2938-8898-7188(NEW FC)
PAX AUS Pokemon League Gym Leader 2014
[imgrtz]http://s17.postimg.org/ofjl6q3tr/trainercard_AGanoti.png[/imgrtz]
AGanoti

Postby Draexzhan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I'll just paste some stuff that I gave to someone else a while back...

EVs are the abbreviation of effort values. A Pokemon has EVs between 0 and 252 in six different stats: HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. All Pokemon start out with 0 EVs in each stat, but they acquire EVs for each Pokemon they earn experience from defeating. EVs boost a Pokemon's stats, but it's not a 1:1 ratio. At level 100 the EV to stat bonus ratio is 4:1, and at lower levels it takes more EVs to impact a stat. Pokemon in their first stage of evolution give 1 EV, Pokemon in their second stage give 2, and third 3. Pokemon without evolutionary lines tend to vary in EV yield. The EVs are generally all in a single stat, and what you get is consistent with each evolutionary family. A Gulpin will always yield 1 HP EV, and a Swalot will always yield 2 HP EVs. Now, while a stat can have up to 252 EVs, a Pokemon cannot have more than a grand total of 510 EVs. Obviously, getting all 510 EVs you want would take a while like this. But there's ways to speed it up. On rare occasions, (Think 1 in 20,000) a wild Pokemon will have what's called the Pokerus. Pokerus doubles the number of EVs you get from battle, so a Pokemon with the Pokerus that defeats a Gulpin will get 2 HP EVs instead of one. In addition to this, there are hold items called power items, the power weight, power band, power anklet, power belt, power lens, and power bracer. When a Pokemon holds one of these, its speed is halved, but whenever it gets EVs from a defeated Pokemon, it gets a bonus 4 EVs in a specific stat, which is specified in the item's description. In other words, a Pokemon holding the power weight with Pokerus can get 10 EVs from one Gulpin. But with the addition of horde battles, you can battle five Gulpins at once, and get 50 HP EVs from one horde. This is called Horde training, and it's the fastest method of EV training.

A great guide to this can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a- ... s.3490052/

Now, prior to gen 6, you would have to keep all EVs in memory, but with the addition of super training, there's a graph you can refer to that shows a rough indication of a Pokemon's EVs. The green on the graph is a Pokemon's base stats, and the yellow is its EVs added onto the base stats. You can also do super training as a method of EV training, it's more concise and generally easier to not mess up, but it's also much slower. It can take well over an hour to EV train a single Pokemon that way, whereas horde training can take as little as 10 minutes.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Also people can feel free to correct me on stuff, or add to this.
Draexzhan

Postby AGanoti » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:29 pm

I agree with Draexhan that super training defenently is slower but if your new i certainly think its better and its much easier to keep track of also you can get special items from supper training so its a bit of both if your willing to spend more time and be precise then super training if you want to go fast then the other way anyway hope we helped you out and good luck hope to see you at pax
FC: 2938-8898-7188(NEW FC)
PAX AUS Pokemon League Gym Leader 2014
[imgrtz]http://s17.postimg.org/ofjl6q3tr/trainercard_AGanoti.png[/imgrtz]
AGanoti

Postby Propriety » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 am

Ooh! Ooh ooh ooh! One of the PPL gym leaders (Volaro) put together a three-part guide to EV training last year!

You can find it here:

[url=http://paxpokemonleague.net/2014/02/pokemon-advancement-expo-tutorial-ev-training/012]EV Training[/url012]
[url=http://paxpokemonleague.net/2014/02/expo-guide-super-training/012]Super Training[/url012]
[url=http://paxpokemonleague.net/2014/02/expo-guide-horde-training/012]Horde Training[/url012]

Check them out!
See you at PAX East!
Propriety
League Coordinator

Postby Kestrel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:58 am

I love this forum! Most helpful one I've ever been too! Also, I'm really glad someone asked this question, I've got some EV training I'd like to do, but I was a bit lost on the whole thing. I understood the new way with the super training for the most part. However, the thing about the power items and hoards is cool to know too.

Thanks for the links too Propriety! :mrgreen:
Kestrel

Return to Team Building