[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Local Leagues

Local Leagues

For all the conversations that don't really belong anywhere else!

Re: Local Leagues

Postby Arcarinium » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 am

2012 PPL East Champion
Arcarinium

Postby Fraxure » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:07 pm

[br2i]Fraxure[/br2i] • "I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
3DS Friend Code: 0104-0326-9138 (Equinox)
Fraxure

Postby Aurethious » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:18 am

I've kicked that idea around. My only concern is that I don't want to come across as though I'm stepping into someone else's store attempting to steal customers. Somerville is probably far enough away that it might not be too much of a concern, but it's in the back of my mind. I think it'd be one thing if I wasn't already in the planning process, but I know I'd be a little dubious if someone came into my store looking to run an event who is planning to open a store of his/her own.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Fraxure » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 am

[br2i]Fraxure[/br2i] • "I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
Fraxure

Postby Aurethious » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:54 am

I agree with part of that. I'm still probably a good year or so away from when I'd be able to open. You're right that I wouldn't [iuca]have[/iuca] to tell anyone anything about my plans. I just don't think it's a good way to conduct business. Often times, game retailers rely on volunteers to run events and it would sour me on the idea if I allowed someone to run an event only to find out that they were planning on starting their own store and likely took some of the customers that came for the event with them. It's a good way to develop a bad reputation in a hurry and there's a great deal to be said about having good relationships, even with competitors.

*Edited to add: If I was to do something before opening an actual store, it'd be outside of a store venue. Maybe similar to the Boston-area meet-ups we had last year. A public place where it could happen and there'd be no concern about hijacking customers from an existing business. That's not outside of the realm of possibility.

Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Fraxure » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 am

Indeed, you're quite right; it would be poor ethics. A non-business venue would likely be the best choice.

I hadn't heard about these Boston meetups before - where did those take place?
Fraxure

Postby Aurethious » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:33 am

We had a couple after PAX East last year. Typically, we would meet at the Shops at Prudential Center, grab some lunch and hang out in the food court for a bit and then venture elsewhere.

Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Fraxure » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:06 am

Wow, awesome. How many people went?
Fraxure

Postby Aurethious » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:08 am

I want to say we had about 10 or so both times. I remember there being more the first one, but I'm getting old and my memory is not what it once was.

Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Previous

Return to Mingling