[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Sports

Sports

For all the conversations that don't really belong anywhere else!

Sports

Postby Fraxure » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm

I know that sports and Pokemon don't have a huge overlap in enthusiast demographics, so I can probably stick with just one "Sports" thread rather than having multiple. :P

I'm a big fantasy baseball buff, and I'm really excited that the season has finally started. Any other sports fans in the house? Basketball? Hockey? Soccer?
[br2i]Fraxure[/br2i] • "I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
3DS Friend Code: 0104-0326-9138 (Equinox)
Fraxure

Re: Sports

Postby Heleor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:45 pm

What's a sport?
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Postby SandstormS » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 am

E12 desmond Bell(Music)E13 Reginald Stone(Rock)
E14 Dr.Toxin(Poison)S15 Mr.Saturday(Ghost)
E15 Dustin(Sandstorm)P15 Wallace(Water)
E16 Reginald Stone(Rock)P16 PAL9000(2001)
"Desmond as a person was hilarious. Keep him around at all costs."
SandstormS

Postby Aurethious » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:15 am

I am quite the sports fan. As I'm typing this, I'm talking to the captain of my softball team. The only fantasy sport I really play is football. The other sports are just too much for me to keep checking my fantasy team, but I follow most sports. My video game collection is humorous. Mostly sports games, Pokemon games, Yu-Gi-Oh games, and wrestling games. At first glace, people are convinced I must have a kid.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Shrain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Hockey! Hockey hockey hockey hockey hockey!

And does Starcraft count? :P
My PPL résumé[spoiler8d5]I played Barry during PAX East of '12,
the Fossil Fiend during PAX Prime of '12,
Sir Ivan North of PAX East '13,
Impostor Professor Oak of PAX East '14,
Robert Lutece of PAX East '15,
and Guzma of PAX East '17![/spoiler8d5]
An admin of Unplugged '17
Shrain
Three-Time Leader

Postby Fraxure » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:18 am

[br2i]Fraxure[/br2i] • "I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
3DS Friend Code: 0104-0326-9138 (Equinox)
Fraxure

Postby Arcarinium » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 am

2012 PPL East Champion
Arcarinium

Postby Shade » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 am

"competitive physical activity" is in the definition, so while Marching Band (and I suppose cheerleading) can qualify, unless you're playing with a kinect it doesn't count.
E12+P12: Berri, the Master Ranger+Maxie, Champion of the Land (E5)
E13+P13: Berri, the Dragon Ranger+Berri, the Traveling Ranger
E14+P14: Neuro of Aperture Labs+Co-cordinator
E15: Sorra of the Parched Pirates
S16, S17, S18: Peggy Pidgeot, Robin, Osono
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby Shrain » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 am

So then it would be classified as an "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_sportsiq8]Electronic Sport[/urliq8]", no? Even then - Chess is seen as an official sport, even if it requires you to only move your hands and think with your brain. You're probably using more of both by playing Starcraft! :P
My PPL résumé[spoiler8d5]I played Barry during PAX East of '12,
the Fossil Fiend during PAX Prime of '12,
Sir Ivan North of PAX East '13,
Impostor Professor Oak of PAX East '14,
Robert Lutece of PAX East '15,
and Guzma of PAX East '17![/spoiler8d5]
An admin of Unplugged '17
Shrain
Three-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 am

I suppose it depends on your definition of sport. I started college as a physical education major and I remember the definition we were given in our introductory course. It was "playful rule-bound competition with a governing body that requires physical excellence". I don't know if I buy into that wholesale. I play sports on a regular basis, and I am far from possessing physical excellence. Of course, this was also back in 1999, so I'm sure there's been changes since then.

I suppose it depends on what you feel the difference is, if any, between a sport and a game.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Next

Return to Mingling