[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Double Battle Meta

Double Battle Meta

For all the conversations that don't really belong anywhere else!

Double Battle Meta

Postby TerraFeonix » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi, so I have done a little research but being new to double battles, i was hoping to get some help with things like teams, strategies, and what to be afraid of. I am currently leaning towrds a trick room team. My ultimate goal however, is to avenge my PAX losses at the hands of Ludicolo (and her not as cool as mine) pink ds. Any help would be great.
TerraFeonix

Re: Double Battle Meta

Postby Shade » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Weather teams, like abomasnow/dewgong/glaceon or tyranitar/hoppowdon/flygon can be nasty in double battles (as you seem to have encountered with a Ludicolo, if I'm guessing correctly). I'm also a fan of protect/explosion for nastiness. There's also Round (just for kicks), which works kinda like fury cutter, but for double/triple battles.
E12+P12: Berri, the Master Ranger+Maxie, Champion of the Land (E5)
E13+P13: Berri, the Dragon Ranger+Berri, the Traveling Ranger
E14+P14: Neuro of Aperture Labs+Co-cordinator
E15: Sorra of the Parched Pirates
S16, S17, S18: Peggy Pidgeot, Robin, Osono
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby Salamenace » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:50 pm

My tactic is FAST and POWERFUL. My best example is my Salamence with LifeOrb or Chandelure with ChoiceScarf. Ludicolo was easy for me with that...we (me and my partner) ended up doing the sandstorm team and killed badly.
White-2494-4596-5562
Quick and Powerful or Slow and Annoying :3
Salamance used DragonClaw, one hit KO
Salamenace

Postby TerraFeonix » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 pm

I beat her with my normal sand team, with the addition of spec. joltion, but i want to stay away from a team i already have for singles
TerraFeonix

Postby Kirogata » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Dobules main focous is synergy with the two peookemon that are out at the same time, instead of swappign synergy, like singels.

This means that the pokemon powers are a very large focous. And when the power changes, the move sets can change. Examples:
Stone edge becomes rock slide. (Due to it hitting more than oen target)
Surf/EQ are used with partners that ignore/benefit from beign hit by it.
Sometimes hitting your ally can actually be a viable stragety.(Keeping this one for you to figure out yourself. <3)
Traps are not really worth it in the grander scheme.
Kirogata/Lane/Leather/Gary M'fing Oak
Kirogata
One-Time Leader

Postby SolonCubed » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Rock Slide and Heat Wave is everything, Priority Moves are a must, Follow Me and Rage Powder are wonderful gifts from God. Also, if you can predict multiple target attacks coming, Wide Guard will win you battles, although Protect may be more useful depending on strategies.

Most common fifth-gen tactics:
Weather based teams, any of the four weathers are viable in their own ways.
Trick Room based teams
Tailwind and Prankster based teams

Also, Whimsicott is a very fast Pokemon that can learn Beat Up, and then use it on a Legendary Musketeer who all get a +1 attack boost from dark type attacks. At the beginning of a match, that means that the musketeer now has TWO swords dances and can attack the same turn... I put the math into my calculator and it makes a smiley face!

Double Battles are very very interesting.
SolonCubed
One-Time Leader

Postby TerraFeonix » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Reinculous-magic gaurd- life orb- trick room...
Whimscott-prankster-???- protect and tailwind...
Conculdurr-sheer force- leftovers-mach punch, rock slide, hammer arm...
Blissey- Serene Grace-bright powder- toxic, flamethrower....
Bronzong for additional trick room

I would appreciate help finishing and tweaking team, but this is what i am thinking so far. Thanks again for everyone who has offered there advice and input.
TerraFeonix

Postby _Justice_ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Admin for PPL Unplugged
_Justice_
Two-Time Leader

Postby Gingerstik » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Always wanted to try use a bronzong it's bulky and can set up screens/ additional effects to trickroom if you wish. The former I'm not so sure on since brick break seems to be a go-to generic and a lot of mons will be packing it. Taunt/Encore is also capable of shutting it down pretty easy but if you're making these guys purely for PAX it might not be too much of a problem? (Only came across one taunter during the entire con)

I love encore whimsicotts with all my heart. Taunt is a little bit more reliable if you think somebody is going to set up, but don't want to accidentally encore team mauling attacks all day. Encore has more room for flexibility if you include immunities/resistances though. U-Turn is a good option if you just want to mess with your opponents and gtfo but the lack of stab and it's wretched attack stat puts a hamper on that. Plus prankster always gives priority to non damaging moves, so trickrooming wouldn't be an issue most of the time. Also from my understanding, it's supposed to be a great anti-lead.

Another thought is you could have somebody with torment and use them in tandem with the encore-er or have someone switcheroo a choice scarf. Just make an entire team of whimsicotts lololo.

Blissey with serene grace could abuse the secondary effects to make fireblast/flamethrower a less reliable but damaging will-o-wisp and it can learn heal pulse and heal bell which is extremely handy for getting rid of major status effects and recovery in general. Eviolite chansey might be another good alternative.

But yeah just some thoughts, I'm nothing even close to a competitive player but brainstorming movesets has been always pretty fun. Not sure how they actually work in practice 0_0
Last edited by Gingerstik on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerstik
One-Time Leader

Postby _Justice_ » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:36 pm

I disagree with leading with a Bronzong: any player worth his/her salt will immediately Taunt you.
Admin for PPL Unplugged
_Justice_
Two-Time Leader

Next

Return to Mingling