[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Block

Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Block

For all the conversations that don't really belong anywhere else!

Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Block

Postby ahscott » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:44 am

"The official Nintendo Dream magazine recently conducted an interview with Gamefreak’s Ken Sugimori, Shigeru Ohmori (OR/AS game director), Shigeki Morimoto (game developer), and Kazumasa Iwao (OR/AS map designer). In the interview, Ken Sugimori revealed that the reason Mega Flygon doesn’t exist is because Gamefreak was experiencing, well, artist’s block!

Sugimori: For Aarune, he needed to have a Pokemon that could use the moves Fly and Secret Power, which are perfect moves for finding Secret Bases. And the only Hoenn Pokemon that wasn’t used by a key character that fit that criteria was Flygon. It does not Mega Evolve, but I really like Flygon.

Interviewer: Key characters often carry a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, but Flygon is an exception, right?

Sugimori: Flygon has had the potential to have a Mega Evolution since XY, but we were unable to complete a design and so it was dropped from consideration."

[url=http://pokebeach.com/2015/04/mega-flygon-excluded-because-artists-blockv8k]source[/urlv8k]
PPL east admin
[url=https://www.twitch.tv/ah_scottmyb]follow me on twitch[/urlmyb]
ahscott

Re: Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Bl

Postby snowyalice » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:51 am

I got in a wonder trade a Trapinch called "Why no Mega", so of course I levelled it up. One day it's name will be redundant.
The Ausmistress

Coach of:
snowyalice
Eight-Time Leader

Postby Volaro » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:39 am

They couldn't think of an acceptable design for Flygon, but Mega Spaceman Salamence and Mewtwo X got the okay?
Alright, I guess.

I would've just slimmed down Flygon, edge up his goggly eyes. Maybe broaden his flappy wings at the base, but that's just me.
Volaro, The Elusive Rose of PPL East 2013
Roberto, The Iron Gentleman of PPL East 2014
Tenta, The Turf-Trouncing Trainer of PPL East 2016
Roberto, The Fey-Fond Prince of PPL East 2017
Volaro
One-Time Leader

Postby Draexzhan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:36 pm

I like Mewtwo X's design, and mega Salamence grew on me.

But that's not what this topic is about.

Anyways, part of me is unsure if it's really artist block. I really don't think it'd be that hard to come up with a good design for mega Flygon. If everyone had the time, motivation, and skill, we'd see megas all over the place for everything. I just came up with a few designs in my head just now. Maybe it was just shortness on time, or they actually just decided not to have a mega Flygon.

I wouldn't blame Masuda if that's the case and he just sort of fibbed the artist block thing. If he said they decided no mega Flygon, fans would be pretty outraged. I don't think they quite pay attention to fans as much as we'd like them to. I mean, there have been many cool ideas that were scrapped in later games. [size=20v3q]And then there's battle spot singles.[/sizev3q] But anyways. I'm kind of just rambling here. This is just a theory. A [iv3q]GAME THEORY![/iv3q] :ugeek: *shot*
Draexzhan

Postby Beavwa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Flygon is one of my favourites...

Gotta say though, 'unable to come up with a design' wouldn't just mean the look. Flygon has quite a specific thing going on with the ground / dragon / levitate to the point that it doesn't even have alternate or hidden abilities.
A mega that just buffs the stats a bit is boring and lazy, so they'd need to come up with a concept to actually mix things up a bit.

A possible logical progression could be to actually evolve it into a flying type, but there's little point if it ends up too similar to altaria / noivern / (mega) salamence (you could almost argue that mega salamence took some of what it could possibly get) for dragon/flying or gliscor / landorus for ground / flying
Aerilate could have made sense but may have just been squandered and too similar to salamence.

So, my own theory of a possibility - it's going to need a new ability that doesn't exist. Capitalise on the ground aspects of its theme. Maybe something along the lines of ground attacks hitting everything (even flying / levitate) but make it heavier and slower to compensate. A mechanical change like that could guide the visual design changes to go with it...
Looney idea or is there some merit to it?
PAX AU Resident Shiny Hunting Idiot
XY (old) FC: 3668-7797-0858
ORAS (new) FC: 0447-8297-0626

PPL AU '14 - Shiny Challenger (12 badges)
PPL AU '15 - Leader: Mr Shine, the Rare Gem Collector
PPL AU '16 - Leader: Larry, the Layabout Loafer
Beavwa

Postby Draexzhan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:04 pm

They don't need to keep levitate. There's already a couple of Pokemon that lose their ground immunity when they mega evolve, those being Gyarados and Altaria.
Draexzhan

Postby Jerichai » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Aww man, that's a shame. I really enjoy using Flygon on my teams where I am able, a mega could have been awesome.
Jerichai

Return to Mingling