[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Introduce yourselves!

Introduce yourselves!

For all the conversations that don't really belong anywhere else!

Re: Introduce yourselves!

Postby Kestrel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:00 am

My name is Kestrel, and I had so much fun this year at PaxEast! It was my first year...well a lot of firsts actually!

I've never had the confidence to fight anyone outside the game and one of my friends, I call him the Professor. I'd say he convinced me to try, but really it was after seeing the Doctor walk around, and I found out he was one of the people who started the League!

So, I looked at what Pokemon I could use, with the Professor's help. And approached my first Gym Leader. That didn't work out so well for me...the only one near by and available had been a Veteran player! He was encouraging, so I tried, I held my own through two of his Pokemon but lost in the end.

I didn't give up, I looked for more, and waiting for my chance! Fleur was next, and I was so nervous, I had to keep wiping my hands! I knew this was a battle I could possibly win, so now I was determined! I won! I loved her team, it was really pretty and super tough! I even tweaked my team a some having learned a lot during the fight!

Next up was TL, by far had to be my favorite gym leader, I had the most fun, and I'd have to say most meaningful battle with him. His clever team build was all on holidays, so it was really interesting to see his choices, for starters. I gave it my all, learned even more about team building and strategy, but most of all...I had a heroic Ash like moment. He still gave me a badge, and let me say this, I didn't expect it in the least! No, one told me I'd get rewarded for trying my hardest....

Those two gym leaders really made that day worth it... Later I fought Dan, it was really cool to picture being at a restaurant or cafe like in the games, he was charming and witty, and really had a blast because of him and the guy next to him. (I think he was another leader) I won my badge Ash Ketchem style again, but that's ok, like him, I learned a lot and gave it my all right? lol

The second day at Pax for me, was the last day Sunday, and it was really a great cap on fighting in the league. First I fought Akana (Thank you Propriety, for helping me find her!) and we had a really interesting battle (thank you Akane for taking one more before lunch!) we fought 4x4 another first! I nearly won that round! got down to her last pokemon but it was a tough one! The coolest thing was my Jolteon 1HKOing her Skarmory. If I Pokemon were real, I'd have hugged my favorite buddy tight for that!

Last battle was truly a test of luck. Pavi was the only one available, and I'd tweaked my team over the course of the other 4 battles, so by now, I had a little more confidence under my belt that I could play the next level....Then he told me it'd be a rotation battle....I gulped, I'd been in an out of the pokemon world for a while, mostly because I couldn't get a DS for years! And so, it wasn't till last year I'd even touched White! That was the first and last Rotation battle I'd had! And I'd only played the one in the game!

I didn't really understand how they worked, and what to do (later I learned how to even rotate my pokemon!) all this while in the Battle! I knew I was loosing ground ever turn that I didn't attack properly, and I was getting worried. I wish I'd been able to record that fight, if I could watch it again, i would.

So many times we just missed attacking each others targets!

But in the end, out of luck or budding skill I don't know, but I won, I was shaking and breathing hard...honest, even if that sounds corny to say, for me, it had been the most intense battle I'd ever fought, not in game, not against the professor, against Pavi. And I can't wait to fight him again next year! :mrgreen:

(I like writing...hope it was ok to leave a book)
Kestrel

Postby SandstormS » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:13 am

E12 desmond Bell(Music)E13 Reginald Stone(Rock)
E14 Dr.Toxin(Poison)S15 Mr.Saturday(Ghost)
E15 Dustin(Sandstorm)P15 Wallace(Water)
E16 Reginald Stone(Rock)P16 PAL9000(2001)
"Desmond as a person was hilarious. Keep him around at all costs."
SandstormS

Postby KawaiiAnett » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi! I`m from Czech Republic (europe) and my real name is Aneta. ^^ I`ve found out about PAX only just recently, but it seems really fun! I really hope I`ll be able to join one day. I really like pokemon! Not that I`m any expert or anything but I really enjoy playing their games and I also watch the series ^^ I look forward to being around you guys~
KawaiiAnett

Postby ahscott » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:06 am

PPL east admin
[url=https://www.twitch.tv/ah_scottmyb]follow me on twitch[/urlmyb]
ahscott

Postby Ruppy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Aaron, though most people call me Ruppy. I attended PAX Prime recently, my very first PAX ever, and to be honest... I kind of stumbled on the PPL by accident while trying to find the ruleset (which wasn't even available until right before it) for the Pokemon tourney they were holding that weekend. But I don't regret it, because after exploring the concept I was hooked right away and it made up a good chunk of what I did to enjoy my time at PAX, and I'm proud to be able to say that I made the Hall of Fame in my very first run against the league, especially since this year's Prime I heard was the toughest one yet with only eight people (counting myself) beating the champion.

I'm a part-time competitive battler, alternating between thinking I'm relatively good and not good at all depending on how the games go. Beyond that, I work full time as an assistant manager at a gas station (not what I expected to be doing after graduating college, but money needs to be made), I do graphic and web design whenever I have the time, I love reading and obviously playing games, and I even have a YouTube channel where I do Let's Plays. I'm hoping to also branch out my content and get into Poketubing as well, but that requires a 3DS capture board which right now no one seems to either have available or there's a massive backlog to wait through. While I likely won't be able to attend East next year despite it being closer (I'm an Ohioan) because it will most likely fall during the time our store's manager will need time off which leaves me in charge as acting manager, if I'm able to make a trip to Prime next year I would love to get more involved with the league and perhaps give being a gym leader a shot. Creativity is one of my strong suits, and I've already started toying around with potential gym leader team themes and ideas in preparation.
Prime 15 - 8 Badges, 4 E5 Emblems - Hall of Fame Entrant
West 16 - Leader - Lucas, The Boy From Nowhere
West 17 - E5 - Sans, The Judge of Karma
East 18 - Leader - Lincoln Loud, The Man with the Plan
West 18 - Champion - Ruppy, the Devoted Designer
Ruppy

Postby Erkenhelm » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Welcome aboard the forums Ruppy, glad to have you here. If you're not sure about being able to go to East, there's always South to keep in mind, we have leaders/elites/champion there as well. It happens at the end of January (dates and countdown are already up on the PAX website). Really glad that you enjoyed your time at Prime and had fun challenging the PPL and I'm sure I'll be seeing you again in the future.
East '15 - Leader Erkenhelm the Silver Dragon
Prime '15 - Champion Triple H the Authority
East '16 - E8 Erkenhelm the Twitch Streamer
West '16 - Erkenhelm the Grand Duke of Kalos
East '17 - Commander Shepard the First Human Spectre
Erkenhelm

Postby Toastdeib » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Hey folks! I'm Alex, although at this point I'm equally used to being called Toast. I went to my first and second PAX this year (East and Prime, respectively). At East, I saw lots of PPL stuff going on and being intrigued but I was too hesitant to actually ask about it or get involved. I then proceeded to forget about it entirely until I saw it again and Prime and actually dove in (I was the Rocket Grunt with the massive hair, for anyone who was there). And by "dove in" I mean "spent almost all of my time in the convention center buzzing around and challenging leaders". I had a complete blast, met a lot of cool people, and came away with 13 badges which I still have adorning my hat. My only regret is that I started on day 2 and didn't end up getting a shot at battling the champ, but hey, them's the breaks.

The PPL was my first real foray into competitive battling, and it was neat seeing some of the crazy strategies people were pulling. I've been breeding Pokemon like I play competitively since X/Y, but I never actually used them for anything beyond wrecking the in-game trainers. Now that I've gotten the taste, though, I absolutely want to keep going. I've got two ideas for theme teams that I'm already working on breeding/raising, and possibly a third (although that one's going to take a [im7l]lot[/im7l] more time and effort than the other two). I won't be going to PAX South, but I'm definitely planning on going to East and Prime again next year and I have every intention of applying to be part of the league at one or both of the cons.

Thank you guys for running an awesome event!

Edit: Bluefreeze - ohi there, I may or may not be training the last EVs onto a hidden ability Gliscor as I type this. Thanks for that idea, by the way. (Note: I'm responding like this because I'm not allowed to send PMs yet.)
Last edited by Toastdeib on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPL Prime 2015 - 10 Badges, 3 Emblems
PPL East 2016 - 13 Badges, 5 Emblems, Hall of Fame entrant
Toastdeib

Postby Bluefreeze » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:56 pm

[imgtrd]http://i.imgur.com/7gpxdr9.gif[/imgtrd]
E15 - 8 Badges, 4 E7 Emblems - Hall of Fame Entrant
P15 - Talia
S16 - Delila
E16 - Professor Larch
S17 - Alanna
E17 - Celeste
Bluefreeze

Postby Toastdeib » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Yep, that was me. Your team was pretty brutal. I'm working on taking the Team Rocket theme further into a whole team now (and elaboring on the costume), by the way, so expect that theme music to come back whether I wind up as a challenger again or a leader this time (if that's the theme team I wind up going with, anyway).
PPL Prime 2015 - 10 Badges, 3 Emblems
PPL East 2016 - 13 Badges, 5 Emblems, Hall of Fame entrant
Toastdeib

Postby Axolmotl » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello, everyone! My account apparently got caught by the spambots for my horrible indecisiveness, but I can post now! I'm Axol, or Wren, or Syd, or whatever really, and I was at PAX South last year! I got a sorta honorary-due-to-time-constraints Champion certificate, so that was pretty nifty. I've got a crippling addiction to cosplay and Pokemon, and the two overlap into absurd gijinka outfits from time to time (I'm probably bringing a Primal Kyogre outfit to PAX South. Plenty of time to work on it). :D No one I've got in my general friend circles is as into battling as I am, so going to PAX last year was one of the most fun things I've done (even if it took a lot of effort to track down all the leaders). Anyways, sorry for the rambling. Good to finally be able to post.
Axolmotl

PreviousNext

Return to Mingling