The "Help Skippy Pick a Team" Thread

This is where you can discuss any of the facets of the League!

The "Help Skippy Pick a Team" Thread

Postby CommodoreSkippy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:27 am

HALP!

I aim to apply for Gym Leadership again for PAX East, but I find myself with FAR TOO MANY gym ideas. My ghost team was wonderful, but this time around I think I'm aiming to go for a more abstract theme. I think I'm narrowed down my list of potentials to four to choose from.

-'Stache Badge (Only use Pokemon with Mustaches)
-Megaton Badge (Only use Pokemon in the "Super-Heavyweight" weight class)
-Duplo Badge (All Dittos, your team is my team. -OR- Anything that copies. Ditto, Mew, Porygon, Smeargle, Mr. Mime, Wobuffet, whatever else I can think of)
-Wonder Badge (random team, random battle type. every fight. 544 unique combinations)

Please, help me choose!
Further explanation in next post.
CommodoreSkippy
One-Time Leader

Re: The "Help Skippy Pick a Team" Thread

Postby Salamenace » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:36 am

Megaton or clone would be good, the moustache one is just wrong XD. The wonder idea is kinda like mine but for Prime.
White-2494-4596-5562
Quick and Powerful or Slow and Annoying :3
Salamance used DragonClaw, one hit KO
Salamenace

Postby CommodoreSkippy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:06 am

-'Stache Badge

This requires the least explanation. In short, all of my Pokemon must have fine facial follicles. Stoutland is a must. This theme's typing is all over the place, but has a very limited potential pool as a downside.
Examples:
Stoutland, Samurott, Probopass, Mienshao, Swalot, Jellicent, Alakazam, Gyarados (sorta), Walrein, Kricketune, and any others I may have missed.

-Megaton Badge

Heavyweights! I believe a challenger mentioned this or something similar like a slow team while we were battling at Prime. I was musing on team building and I happened to realize that most of the Pokemon I were thinking about were Super-Heavyweights. Probably throw in Gravity for added theme effect and make use of the handful of moves that consider weight like Heavy Slam and Heat Crash. Grass Knot and Low Kick will be me downfall, of which is fine. The team also seems to heavily favor the Steel and Rock types, providing challengers a reliable type advantage with Fighting.
Examples:
Steelix, Registeel, Aggron, Tyranitar, Metagross, Bronzong, Heatran, Probopass, Torterra, Ferrothorn, Terrakion, Rhyperior, Snorlax.

-Duplo Badge
All Dittos, all the time! I'd have to break the rules with this one so that my team could consist entirely of dittos. Likewise, this team is all but faceroll'd unless they all have impostor, otherwise I might as well hand my badge to each challenger since I'm wasting a turn every new Ditto to Transform. That major weakness aside, I will still be fighting with my Challenger's own team. They know their own strategy and I do not. It will be a very interesting challenge for me and I hope for my opponent as well. My victory would rely heavily on my use of held items and judgement on when to transform a Fresh ditto and when to take from a stock of already transformed.
-OR-
Still have a Ditto, and also likely a Mew with Transform, but use other Pokemon that have a theme of Mimicry like Mr. Mime or can learn copying/reflecting moves like Porygon's COnversion 1 and 2, and Wobuffet's countering shenanigans. Smeargle is a possibility, but painfully weak.
Examples:
Ditto
-OR-
Ditto, Mew, Mr.Mime, Porygon forms, Wobbuffet, Smeargle, Zoroark (copies one of MY pokemon, hmmm), Anyone with the move Roleplay, and others I missed.

-Wonder Badge
Requires the most explanation. This is the badge of random chance. Each time I would be challenged, I would present my opponent with two d20's and a d4 for them to roll. The Result determines which combination of Types and Battle type we will have! Each number would Correspond like so:
1- I pick
2- Grass
3- Water
4- Fire
5- Flying
6- Normal
7- Fighting
8- Psychic
9- Ghost
10- Dark
11- Steel
12- Dragon
13- Ice
14- Poison
15- Ground
16- Rock
17- Bug
18- Electric
19- Ditto
20- You pick

and Battle Type:

1- Single
2- Double
3- Triple
4- Rotation

In case of doubles:
2-19- Reroll
20 and 20- YOU WIN! We don't even have to fight.
1 and 1- YOU LOSE. Sorry fella, them's the breaks when you roll the die.

I would raise up 51 pokemon, 3 for each type, and quickly toss together the two from the results and battle. For example if you challenged me and rolled a 12 and a 7 on the d20's and a 2 on the d4, you would be facing my Dragon/Fighting team in a Double Battle.
544 total combinations. By all means, each battle should be unique.

Weakness being: I have no idea how well my two halves of the team will work together! The 3 of each type might work well as a trio, but in conjunction with another type, who knows? There is NO WAY I can test all 544 combinations, nor would I even test out the ~130 type pairings. Far more often than not, I'll be playing it by ear as I battle. Pretty exciting!

This requires the most work, and a LOT of it, but the idea is so appealing. Also, I'm insane, so I could probably do it in time.
CommodoreSkippy
One-Time Leader

Postby Shade » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:29 am

Well, for the 'stache badge, will you be growing a fine example yourself/attaching one via glue? Personally I'd find it funniest to fight a 'stache team or the heavyweights-they give the clearest idea of what you'd be fighting (trick room for the heavyweights?).
E12+P12: Berri, the Master Ranger+Maxie, Champion of the Land (E5)
E13+P13: Berri, the Dragon Ranger+Berri, the Traveling Ranger
E14+P14: Neuro of Aperture Labs+Co-cordinator
E15: Sorra of the Parched Pirates
S16, S17, S18: Peggy Pidgeot, Robin, Osono
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby CommodoreSkippy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:34 am

If I can deal with having so large a mustache for the time it take to grow, I would grow my own. But more likely I'll be gluing on a false one. :P
Trick Room is likely, but I'm not sure about it's comp yet.
CommodoreSkippy
One-Time Leader

Postby Ktywf » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:48 am

You had me at mustache. I don't care what other teams you have in mind, nor did I read any of them. Mustache team. DO IT.
Prime '11: Brutus(Fighting)/Prime '12 Cyrus
White FC: 3525 5301 3399
Ktywf
One-Time Leader

Postby Heleor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:01 am

The wonder badge has way too much prep for each challenger.

The moustache badge is hilarious, but only if you get an awesome fake moustache to wear around!
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Postby Kirogata » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 am

Stache badge.
Kirogata/Lane/Leather/Gary M'fing Oak
Kirogata
One-Time Leader

Postby RocketGruntFro » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 am

'Stache Badge. The other ideas while good simply pale in comparison to a team of glorious mustached gentlemen. The costume would also be easy I imagine seemly dress yourself like a gentleman and you should be set to go.
Nick Diamond (Fighting) East 2012
Karl Howard (Egyptian) Prime 2012
Maxwell Graves (Ghost) East 2013
"Professor Birch" (Ghost) East 2014
Joshua Eldridge (Relics) East 2016
Maurice (Mimics) East 2017
Maxwell Graves (Marshadow) Unplugged 2017
RocketGruntFro
Three-Time Leader

Postby Gingerstik » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 am

The classiest of types! Mustache clearly.

Also you should totally don a top hat and monocle for your cosplay. It will be so dapper!
Gingerstik
One-Time Leader

Next

Return to League Discussion