[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - ORAS and X/Y Compatibility

ORAS and X/Y Compatibility

This is where you can discuss any of the facets of the League!

ORAS and X/Y Compatibility

Postby Mehnit » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:05 am

According to this post on Bulbapedia:
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/N ... _Y_players

It is confirmed that X & Y will be battle compatible with ORAS, however, the new megas introduced in ORAS will not be. This is potentially a big deal for us in deciding what is considered legal play in PPL South and onward, so I started this thread to discuss. Should the new megas be banned? Should we build alternate teams for players with only X & Y if we want to use new megas? Will we require gym leaders to have a copy of ORAS so as not to limit challengers? What are your opinions?
Mehnit

Re: ORAS and X/Y Compatibility

Postby Reiam2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:23 pm

I think we really need to wait until ORAS actually comes out to see what will happen. It is easy for Nintendo to release a patch for X and Y to introduce the new Mega Pokemon into it and have the mega stone seller have them or getting them from ORAS.
West '13: Douglas, [i8eq]The Rival's Badge[/i8eq]
West '14: Samuel Willingston III, [i8eq]The Knowledge Badge[/i8eq]
West '15: Otto, [i8eq]The Rotation Badge[/i8eq]
Reiam2

Postby AssumptionPrime » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:50 pm

My webcomic, [url=http://www.xpboostcomic.comusx]Experience Boost[/urlusx] (some NSFW language)
AssumptionPrime

Postby Reiam2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:03 pm

West '13: Douglas, [i8eq]The Rival's Badge[/i8eq]
West '14: Samuel Willingston III, [i8eq]The Knowledge Badge[/i8eq]
West '15: Otto, [i8eq]The Rotation Badge[/i8eq]
Reiam2

Postby Aurethious » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 am

This is very disappointing on so many levels. I figure the motivation is to ensure maximum sales of OR/AS, but I think it's safe to say they'd have sold well regardless.

One thing to keep in mind though, since this came up in discussion amongst members of the league I run yesterday, is that we don't know what is and isn't already in X/Y. Mega Latios and Mega Latias were found in X/Y long before OR/AS were even announced. It may be wishful thinking that the other new Mega Evolutions are coded into X/Y, but the possibility is there. You would think we'd have heard that someone found it out by now, but we can hope.

EDIT: I was just reading through comments on an article about this and someone mentioned how the Rotom forms worked in Gen 4. If you had an alternate Rotom form in Platinum, it would appear as regular Rotom when battling someone with Diamond/Pearl. Could work like this for OR/AS and X/Y, but I'm not sure with the whole Mega Evolving mechanic. What would happen if you had a Pokemon with Frisk against a new Mega? Would it be able to show the item? Although, I am laughing at the idea of the Mega Evolution animation happening and then the Pokemon appears exactly the same as before.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Lv3Bidoof » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Imakuni?, the Strange Life Form (Psychic) - East 2014
Will of the Storytelling Duo (Fairy) - East 2015
Kai the Motivational Cheer Captain (Oricorio) - East 2017
Seto Kaiba, the Dragon Duelist - Unplugged 2017
Rob, the Jade Archer - Unplugged 2018
Lv3Bidoof

Postby Shade » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Compatibility notes need to be clarified for sure. Consider, too, that the South leaders will only have a month to recreate their teams in ORAS if it comes to it (or rebreed and use the Bank to transfer up). I could definitely see us using ORAS officially by East :D but South, well, we'll have to see? That's their admins call.
E12+P12: Berri, the Master Ranger+Maxie, Champion of the Land (E5)
E13+P13: Berri, the Dragon Ranger+Berri, the Traveling Ranger
E14+P14: Neuro of Aperture Labs+Co-cordinator
E15: Sorra of the Parched Pirates
S16, S17, S18: Peggy Pidgeot, Robin, Osono
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby Volaro » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:53 am

Blegh, that's super unfortunate, seeing as how that week is already crowded for me (Smash and Persona Q) and I won't be able to nab either version. I really wanted to play with some of the new megas, was hoping I'd just be able to trade with someone for a mega stone or two. :<
Volaro, The Elusive Rose of PPL East 2013
Roberto, The Iron Gentleman of PPL East 2014
Tenta, The Turf-Trouncing Trainer of PPL East 2016
Roberto, The Fey-Fond Prince of PPL East 2017
Volaro
One-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:28 am

So, it looks like we have compatibility notes for how this is going to work and it seems to be as we feared. New moves/abilities/Megas introduced in OR/AS cannot be used in battle against players using X/Y. Here is the write up on Serebii about it.

"Online and wireless battles in the games remains exactly the same as before. While between Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire games you can do and use anything, when you connect with players of Pokémon X & Y, there are several restrictions. Essentially, you cannot use any of the new Mega Evolutions, new moves and new abilities in battle against these players. The game will inform you as you select your team whether or not it can be used.

The Battle Spot changes this up somewhat. In Free Battle, Pokémon X & Y and Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire run different matchmaking schemes so they will never encounter each other. In Rating Battle, they also run different schemes, with Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire's scheme changing somewhat from the standard of Pokémon X & Y
ΩR/αS League: Open only for players of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. This league lets you only use Pokémon that were caught, hatched or distributed in Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire.
XY League: Open only for players of Pokémon X & Y. This league lets you only use any Pokémon, including those that were transferred from Pokémon Black, White, Black 2 or White 2."

This link contains the above and a chart illustrating it and trade info as well.

http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphi ... lity.shtml

So, it looks like a decision will have to be made to either require OR/AS or have Gym Leaders have the capability to have X/Y compatible teams.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - East 2017-2018
Alexander, the Rock Star - East 2019
Aurethious, the Emerald Knight - East 2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Aurethious
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby AssumptionPrime » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:13 am

My webcomic, [url=http://www.xpboostcomic.comusx]Experience Boost[/urlusx] (some NSFW language)
AssumptionPrime

Next

Return to League Discussion