PAX East 2014 Theme Discussion

This is where you can discuss any of the facets of the League!

PAX East 2014 Theme Discussion

Postby nyankokimi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:15 pm

It won't be long until we'll be accepting applications for East!

With the coming of Pokemon X&Y, what sort of theme would you like to see us run?
We have some ideas of our own, but let's see what your creative minds might suggest!
Last edited by philomglol on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing sticky
nyankokimi
League Coordinator

Re: PAX East 2014 Theme Discussion

Postby Volaro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:43 pm

I was thinking a possible theme idea could be based around evolution, seeing as how we're on the cusp of a new generation, unlike with previous PAXes, where we always waited a year since US got them around March. Plus the new form of evolutions being introducted with Mega-Evolutions, it'd fit.

As for what we could actually -do- for it, I'm not quite sure. :p Maybe have some kind of mini-game where the goal would be to evolve a specific Pokemon in front of a gym leader, for a prize, in a certain amount of time.
Volaro, The Elusive Rose of PPL East 2013
Roberto, The Iron Gentleman of PPL East 2014
Tenta, The Turf-Trouncing Trainer of PPL East 2016
Roberto, The Fey-Fond Prince of PPL East 2017
Volaro
One-Time Leader

Postby _Justice_ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 pm

I too was going to suggest Evolution as a theme. Evolution is supposed to be the theme of X and Y, and it could make for a great theme for the League. The League could do things like have the trainer cards be Basic, 1st Stage, and 2nd Stage Evolutions, like Pokemon cards!

A theme based around Light and Dark could also be fun, what with the introduction of Fairy types to the game.
Admin for PPL Unplugged
_Justice_
Two-Time Leader

Postby RoxasEmoQueen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Evolution sounds like a great idea!!

Everyone could all start out as 1st stage, then go to 2nd, then 3rd, then finally Mega as the final part of the side event activity. The side activity of Prime this year worked out well and had great mechanics in which we could utilize here.

Proposed Activities Could Be (in order)

1st Stage - Battle 4 other challengers (in any way you desire) -- get a badge
2nd Stage - Battle 3 other challengers in doubles, triples, or rotation -- get a badge
3rd Stage - Battle 2 other challengers with one of the following: (also get a badge)
-1 pokemon vs 1 pokemon each
-Monotype
-Switch teams with other player

Mega Evolution - 2v2 Double Battle with 2 other people (Mega can either be completed after 3rd stage for sake of simplicity or out of order -- get a badge
Fortune Prime 2011 Dawn East 2012
Lorelei Prime 2012 Cynthia East 2013
Miror B. Prime 2013 Whitney East 2014
Drasna Prime 2014 Stella East 2015
Cynthia Prime 2015 Toriel East 2016
Chara West 2016 PPLWest Admin
RoxasEmoQueen
Eight-Time Leader

Postby tehJTK » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 pm

When I think of evolution I think more of progress than anything else - changing into something better, or something. It might be too much, but maybe we could simulate the game somehow?

I.E. competitors get a mystery egg to start with and have to level it up (on the side of the usual tournament). There could be a special subset of leaders that they could face with their mystery egg and, if they win, they get different badges, all the way up to the champion. No idea how practical this is, but it sounded cool in my head.
tehJTK
One-Time Leader

Postby DoubtedCarrot » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

I am inclinded to agree with TehJTK on this one. It is an immensely fun thing to do, as at the UW club we do mystery egg tournaments and I don't think it would be too hard to extend to the challengers. However if that is the road we take it would be best to request not super weak pokes be handed out.
Sudowoodo........SSSSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brock - East '13
Jim Ryanor - Prime '13
Mirage - East '14
Revan - East '15
Little Mac - Prime '15
Brock - East '16
Dr. Horrible - Prime '16
DoubtedCarrot
Seven-Time Leader

Postby hastarius » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 am

Maybe a special three tiered round where contestants may only enter with Pokemon that have three stages of evolution (Ex, Squirtle, Machop, Charmander, etc).

First round uses the basic, second with the second tier, and the third round involves the pinnacle of their evolutions.

One Pokemon each. Just an idea. XD

Winner will get a special badge.
hastarius

Postby nyankokimi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 am

Awesome suggestions so far!

I want to give you all some insight on things that have been discussed within the management team:

The puzzles from last year were great, but the amount of participants wasn't what we hoped.
We are planning on using a different system that all gym leaders and challengers will be able to participate in with ease.

That having been said, let's keep the topic focused on just a theme for this year instead of prizes and prize challenges. :)
nyankokimi
League Coordinator

Postby Lyrai » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Here's an idea that's building on what other people have been posting with evolution and stages.

We use a system similar to the rival challenge from East '12. Every trainer card has a basic stage Pokémon on it, just like the berries. Challengers will find another with the same basic stage Pokémon on their card and battle, under supervision of a PPL member.

The winner of the match will then "evolve" on to a Stage 2 Pokémon. The next day when they win a match against someone with the same base Pokémon, they will "evolve" on to a Stage 3 Pokémon. If they win against another challenger on the last day they will "Mega Evolve" (which would mean they might earn a badge like the Rival Badge).

Now because there would be winners and losers and only the winners get to evolve, obviously we can't do straight up rivals. Challengers are allowed to fight anyone with the same basic stage they have, and can challenge as many people as they need to in a day to "evolve".

Or we can keep it straight to rivals and no matter if you win or loose, you gain the experience to "evolve". I just remember the main complaints of the rival system tossed 'round the bean bags when I was a challenger in '12 was that quite a few challengers would become rivals with people who weren't going to be there for the entirety of PAX. By taking that out we allow challengers to earn their experience every day no matter who they battle!
PPL '12 East - Challenger
PPL '13 East - Yellow de Bosque Verde
PPL '14 East - Blaire (& Justin) the Reliable Rachers
PPL '15 East - Kathleen (& Kenneth ) the Contest Coordinators
PPL '17 East - Paige Ryder the Pokémon Jockey
Lyrai
One-Time Leader

Postby nyankokimi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:42 pm

The flaw with the above idea is that East is way too busy for us to have GLs pulled away to watch battles between other people. :/
nyankokimi
League Coordinator

Next

Return to League Discussion