[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
PAX Pokemon League • View topic - Pokemon Online Server?

Pokemon Online Server?

Here's where you can suggest things for the PPL to do!

Pokemon Online Server?

Postby BigShoesPlease » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 pm

So for those of you who don't know about this you can follow this link [url7mh]http://pokemon-online.eu/index.php[/url7mh] The "Basics" and "FAQ" sections under Getting Started will tell you a lot.
Basically Pokemon Online is a customizable battle sim available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is an incredibly handy tool for battling people all over the world with a few advantages to using your DS such as: No Friend codes, Not hindered by your router or wireless network, and most important of all Pokemon Online also works as an excellent tool for building teams in fractions of the time it would take you to raise a team in the actual games.

The downside to all of this? Well besides the minor annoyance of no real music or battle animations to speak of there is what I perceive to be a problem with accessibility.
I think PO is a great tool for experimenting with new teams or different move sets you want to try out, or at least it would be. In my experience you have a player base on practically every server who play exclusively with a very limiting selection of hard-to-compete-with high tier Pokemon. Okay this is getting long-winded, let me try to sum this up. Would setting up our own Pokemon Online server be something people are interested in? I've been using it to experiment with teams in preparation for PAX East and have just grown frustrated with how hard it is to do just that - try new things. I figure this could serve us well as a growing community even during the gaps between PAXes.

Anyway, this has dragged on long enough.
Here is the link for setting up a server: [url7mh]http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/showthread.php?23-Tutorial-on-how-to-run-a-server[/url7mh]
What do people think?
Elite 4 member PAX East 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
BigShoesPlease
Two-Time Leader

Re: Pokemon Online Server?

Postby Blackfox138 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 am

Personally, I'm a big fan of PO. The only downside to having a server where leaders and challengers can practice is that the challengers get a heads-up at what teams the GL are running and how to beat. If the GL/E4 don't use their PPL team, then what is the point of practicing and if challengers don't have a chance to practice against the types of teams GL/E4 are allowed to run, then again the practice is kind of moot.

In order for something like this to work, there needs to be enough people who don't mind NOT getting any practice and would switch between a GL/E4 team and challenger team then perhaps it could work...
Blackfox138
Two-Time Leader

Postby Morganstern » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 am

It would seem Nintendo had a similar idea:

[url=http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/pokemon-black-and-white-getting-pc-connectivity-exclusive-web-c/#continued901]Pokemon Black and White getting PC connectivity, exclusive web content[/url901]
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Postby Prof. Pine » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am

I might consider setting up a pokemon online server. I have a spare desktop that is collecting dust and otherwise being a keyboard that I can spare. I just need to see if it will run it...
I'll have to look into it some time after PAX East though.
Prof. Pine

Postby StarVVolph » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 am

adherye, here are a couple of links to the 2 single best resources of Pokémon Research.
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page
FC: 3093-7121-5238
StarVVolph
Two-Time Leader

Postby SandstormS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:42 pm

so... did anyone set up a server? i think it would be a grand idea. and in response to the concerns about challengers getting a heads up: who is gunna know its you? i challenged with a theme team. people like me as well as the constantly changing teams should offer enough anonymity. If there is that much concern about it, stop challenging a few weeks before hand. noone will remember specifics.
E12 desmond Bell(Music)E13 Reginald Stone(Rock)
E14 Dr.Toxin(Poison)S15 Mr.Saturday(Ghost)
E15 Dustin(Sandstorm)P15 Wallace(Water)
E16 Reginald Stone(Rock)P16 PAL9000(2001)
"Desmond as a person was hilarious. Keep him around at all costs."
SandstormS

Postby Prof. Pine » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm actually running one for Reddit's Pokemon League. Otherwise, I would host one. No clue how I could host 2, even if I wanted to.

you can always hop on that one though. the people are very nice. The URL is rplserver.dyndns.com (use the advanced connection option)
Prof. Pine

Postby Kai » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 pm

I feel like reviving this thread, because I would be MOST INTERESTED in a PPL server.
Kai
One-Time Leader

Postby Prof. Pine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I can't really host a second one reliably....
Prof. Pine

Postby Ktywf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:56 am

I *may* be able to get something going, but it won't be anytime soon. Please do pester me about it in a couple weeks, because I'll likely forget.
Prime '11: Brutus(Fighting)/Prime '12 Cyrus
White FC: 3525 5301 3399
Ktywf
One-Time Leader

Next

Return to Suggestions