Time Limit

Here's where you can suggest things for the PPL to do!

Re: Time Limit

Postby Shade » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 am

Aurethious wrote:
As far as leaders refuse challenges based on badge count, I can see that rubbing people the wrong way. If you've been waiting in line for a little while just to get to the gym leader and being turned down. Seems off-putting to me.

Agree. If a leader were to implement this, I only ask they have some designation or ID so we don't waste our time (stripes on the scarfs have been mentioned, or a pin/spot/something else visible would do).

Morganstern wrote:Also, people with 8 regular badges should be barred from waiting in non-E4 lines. I understand your desire to collect 'em all, but give other people a chance, too.

I got 6 of my 10 gym leader badges at the Sunday meetup, and at that point it was a free for all as people were leaving. I see the point for asking to go only to 8 badges, but barring them absolutely is a little extreme (the first few days trainers are aiming for the E4 asap in any case). If there was a repeat of the Sunday meetup (atmosphere as well-yay meeting Jerry/Scott!), I don't see a problem with letting loose on every leader there (seeing as they are available, willing, and had little to no line-one last battle before the end of PAX as it were).
E12+P12: Berri, the Master Ranger+Maxie, Champion of the Land (E5)
E13+P13: Berri, the Dragon Ranger+Berri, the Traveling Ranger
E14+P14: Neuro of Aperture Labs+Co-cordinator
E15: Sorra Fortuna of the Parched Pirates
S16: Peggy Pidgeot, the Courier
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby Morganstern » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 am

Shade wrote:I got 6 of my 10 gym leader badges at the Sunday meetup, and at that point it was a free for all as people were leaving. I see the point for asking to go only to 8 badges, but barring them absolutely is a little extreme (the first few days trainers are aiming for the E4 asap in any case). If there was a repeat of the Sunday meetup (atmosphere as well-yay meeting Jerry/Scott!), I don't see a problem with letting loose on every leader there (seeing as they are available, willing, and had little to no line-one last battle before the end of PAX as it were).

Herein lies the problem. You were only able to acquire a significant number of badges after Pax had ended.

If a relativity small group of people are hopping from line to line and clogging up the works, limiting people to 4 badges a day alleviates that somewhat. It hardly slows things down, as if you really want to rush through you could still go after the E4 on Saturday.

And if people are going to get upset about being asked to slow down in the name of other giving other people a chance to participate, then they're going to get mad at anything, including fluffy, delicious waffles.
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 am

Putting a limit on badges per day works in a scenario where everyone is at this event for the PPL and that alone. People have to budget their time over the course of the weekend, this includes both leaders and challengers. Should someone be restricted because they were fortunate enough to find a few gym leaders early on? If you are able to "hop from line to line" and face a bunch of leaders, that's saying that A) you have the time to, B) the gym leaders have time to sit there for however long that takes, and C) the lines are moving somewhat swiftly. At the Friday meet-up, I was one of the first ones there and was there for an hour and a half and battled 2 leaders. I hopped from line to line. You can only do that as fast as the lines go. I do think that sign-in sheets should be done away with. I know people were hopping from sheet to sheet and, in effect, in multiple lines at once. That, I can see as being unfair.

I don't know what the best solution is. I just don't think that restricting how many leaders a person can challenge in a day is the right way to go.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - PPL East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - PPL East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - PPL East 2017

Come join the ION Game Corner WiFi Pokémon events!

3DS Friend Code: 1993-7579-0707
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Shade » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Morganstern wrote:
Herein lies the problem. You were only able to acquire a significant number of badges after Pax had ended.

To be fair, I missed the Friday meet up where most of my friends acquired the majority of their badges.

Morganstern wrote:If a relativity small group of people are hopping from line to line and clogging up the works, limiting people to 4 badges a day alleviates that somewhat. It hardly slows things down, as if you really want to rush through you could still go after the E4 on Saturday.

How is their good fortune and patience a bad thing? If you're discouraging finding leaders or battles by blowing trainers off (especially if they're on a 1 day pass)r67y, I can't see this as worth participating in.

Finding a solution to the lines is all well and good, but I can only see this particular suggestion discouraging people.
Say there's a trainer with a 1 day pass-like a pair of the people I went to Friday with-and they try for more than 4 badges. They explain the situation to the gym leaders they challenge after 4 badges are acquired-does the gym leader tell them no, or yes and have to explain to the rest of the line why they're an exception? Wasting more time? Or does the 1-day trainer in question have to completely devote their day to finding leaders-a challenge under ideal conditions-that are free enough to take the 4+ badged trainer on?

I look forward to seeing what suggestions are implemented come Prime, the good and the bad.

Morganstern wrote:And if people are going to get upset about being asked to slow down in the name of other giving other people a chance to participate, then they're going to get mad at anything, including fluffy, delicious waffles.

It's a trap!

But seriously? Instead of restrictions I wish the topic would turn to encouraging trainers, not discouraging them.
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby Morganstern » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Shade wrote:But seriously? Instead of restrictions I wish the topic would turn to encouraging trainers, not discouraging them.

I'm not advocating discouragement, I'm asking the person with 7 badges on Friday afternoon to give someone else a turn.

If you don't want to limit the lines through restrictions, the only other way I can see is to give people a lot more opponents to fight, but that's another thread.
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Postby Shade » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Morganstern wrote:If you don't want to limit the lines through restrictions, the only other way I can see is to give people a lot more opponents to fight, but that's another thread.

Indeed it is.
Shade
League Coordinator

Postby Maylene » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 am

Morganstern wrote:Also, people with 8 regular badges should be barred from waiting in non-E4 lines. I understand your desire to collect 'em all, but give other people a chance, too.

I can see your logic here, but as a leader, let me say: Most people who do have 8 badges skip right to the E4 as soon as they can. The E4 members always had really short lines and people wanted to qualify to be champs ASAP. The only times I had challengers who already have 8 badges was when they either a) had all of the E4 badges and were just waiting for the champion showcase or b) had lost to all the E4 members that day and were waiting for midnight to try again.

I really don't think we need to lay a ban down on people who have 8 badges- because like you said, some people like to try to collect 'em all. I think we should just lay it out on the table so that leaders can choose to say, 'Okay, I see you have 8 badges, would you mind letting these guys go first?' I'm sure it won't be a big enough deal that we need a rule about it.
Marissa / Maylene @ East '11 / Sabrina @ Prime '11
Maylene
Two-Time Leader

Postby Morganstern » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 am

Maylene wrote: I think we should just lay it out on the table so that leaders can choose to say, 'Okay, I see you have 8 badges, would you mind letting these guys go first?' I'm sure it won't be a big enough deal that we need a rule about it.

That was the idea.
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Postby Heleor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:51 am

Morganstern wrote:
Maylene wrote: I think we should just lay it out on the table so that leaders can choose to say, 'Okay, I see you have 8 badges, would you mind letting these guys go first?' I'm sure it won't be a big enough deal that we need a rule about it.

That was the idea.

Leaders always had absolute control over the challengers they wished or did not wish to face. In the rules, it says they may refuse challengers at any time for any reason.
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Postby Giovanni » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Exactly, this isn't exactly Afro Samurai where you have to take all comers.

Part of the Leader agreeing to participate in the League is that they understand some of their time for enjoying PAX will be subverted doing these challenges. They are encouraged to refuse challengers if there is a need to do so (Need to sleep, want to get to a panel, etc.) Leaders should not feel obligated to have to fight every single person (Though if they are, kudos for being so hardcore!)

If they feel that taking challengers would detract from their PAX experience too much, perhaps it would behoove them to evaluate that before submitting their application, and possibly have a plan for dealing with hordes of challengers?
You come at the Nidoking, you best not miss.
Giovanni
Two-Time Leader

Previous

Return to Suggestions