League Invasion Format

Here's where you can suggest things for the PPL to do!

League Invasion Format

Postby Morganstern » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 am

I think I have a way to alter the base format of the league that will alleviate a lot of the line wait/leader burnout problems people were running into over the weekend.

League Invasion
PPL vs. Team Rocket

There are two teams, Pokemon League and Team Rocket, and players declare their allegiance before the show. Each player gets a allegiance indicator (badge, scarf or whatever) and a number of PPL Badge-like insignia.

The teams have 4 tiers:

Trainer / Grunt
Ace Trainer / Lieutenant
Leader / Executive
Elite / Boss

The Elite (or Bosses) of a faction are decided beforehand, everyone else starts off as a Trainer. Tier 1 Trainers can fight other tier 1 trainers from the other team and the winner gets an insignia. When you get some number (10?) of insignia, you can trade them to one of your faction heads to become an Ace Trainer (Lieutenant), and can fight other tier 2 people, and so on until you are able to challenge the faction heads themselves. Faction heads can have 2 teams, one for Tier 1-3 challenges and one for Final Boss Fight challenges, so they can give out insignia and play during the early parts of the weekend.

Discuss away!
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Re: League Invasion Format

Postby Heleor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 am

That is actually a very interesting idea, and similar in theme to what has already been decided on this issue. I'm going to mull this over, but don't be surprised if something similar shows up! :)

That said, this changes the entire format of the league to no longer being a 'challenge the leaders to prove your worth.' It may be modified to 'defeat 3 rocket grunts before you can challenge each leader' and having dozens of grunts walking around?
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 am

Most gyms in the games have several trainers that you have to face before getting to the leaders. Having the prerequisites to face to leader isn't a bad idea. I don't know how many people wanted to be gym leaders, but this could be an interesting way to get more people involved on that side of things. Each gym could have X number of trainers representing it.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - PPL East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - PPL East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - PPL East 2017

Come join the ION Game Corner WiFi Pokémon events!

3DS Friend Code: 1993-7579-0707
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby Morganstern » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 am

If you still want the classic Gym Leader Challenge system, this could just be added to that to give people something to do when the leaders are busy.

Perhaps the leaders can even take sides...
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Postby Prof. Pine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 am

This format is a very cool way to do a tournament style type event. This is similar to the challenge buttons that PAX once had actually (except no tiers of people)
BigDumbHippy wrote:Pine's a ten-foot tall beast man, who showers in vodka, and feeds his baby shrimp scampi
Prof. Pine

Postby Heleor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 am

Aurethious wrote:Most gyms in the games have several trainers that you have to face before getting to the leaders. Having the prerequisites to face to leader isn't a bad idea. I don't know how many people wanted to be gym leaders, but this could be an interesting way to get more people involved on that side of things. Each gym could have X number of trainers representing it.

The issue is twofold: Manpower and Organization. Having 1-3 subleaders for every leader may work, but it will still come with an issue of forcing challengers to find multiple specific people just for a single badge, and we'd need two to four times the number of leaders. Coordinating just 17 people is difficult enough.

Morgan: The main issue is the prerequisite work that needs to be done for this idea - the emblems would need to be created, ordered and paid for, as well as making sure each leader is useful. Organizing this is another huge thing that leaders need to keep track of, and another thing that leaders need to deal with.
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Postby Aurethious » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 am

Heleor wrote:The issue is twofold: Manpower and Organization. Having 1-3 subleaders for every leader may work, but it will still come with an issue of forcing challengers to find multiple specific people just for a single badge, and we'd need two to four times the number of leaders. Coordinating just 17 people is difficult enough.

Totally understand that. I wasn't sure how much interest you had received for people wanting to be gym leaders which speaks to the manpower issue. I can only imagine the organization issues. It'd be one thing if we're talking about an event specific to the League, but you have to consider you have X amount of individual people who have their own agenda of things they want to see/do at an event like PAX. Just about anything is doable, but it should never feel like a chore for anyone involved. Obviously, the bottom line for everyone is to have fun because that's why we all play.
Alexander, the Determined Coach - PPL East 2013
Alexander, the Emerald Knight - PPL East 2014-2016
Alexander, the Proud Paragon - PPL East 2017

Come join the ION Game Corner WiFi Pokémon events!

3DS Friend Code: 1993-7579-0707
Aurethious
One-Time Leader

Postby PoeticMadnesss » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 am

Heleor wrote:
Aurethious wrote:Most gyms in the games have several trainers that you have to face before getting to the leaders. Having the prerequisites to face to leader isn't a bad idea. I don't know how many people wanted to be gym leaders, but this could be an interesting way to get more people involved on that side of things. Each gym could have X number of trainers representing it.

The issue is twofold: Manpower and Organization. Having 1-3 subleaders for every leader may work, but it will still come with an issue of forcing challengers to find multiple specific people just for a single badge, and we'd need two to four times the number of leaders. Coordinating just 17 people is difficult enough.

Morgan: The main issue is the prerequisite work that needs to be done for this idea - the emblems would need to be created, ordered and paid for, as well as making sure each leader is useful. Organizing this is another huge thing that leaders need to keep track of, and another thing that leaders need to deal with.

Something else that could possibly be done is battling for the right to be put on the list. When there are multiple challengers, you could have them battle one another, the winners are put on the list to fight the gym leader, the losers have to keep battling until they become a winner. That'll keep those not battling the leader occupied, and it'll slow down the demand for gym leaders depending on how fast the other battles go...and in my brain, it'd appear something like the trainers within the gym all battling one another :P Just a suggestion.
Black: 0647 5155 3272
Pkmn Breeder
Certified Gold Card Carrier
PoeticMadnesss

Postby Morganstern » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 am

Heleor wrote:Morgan: The main issue is the prerequisite work that needs to be done for this idea - the emblems would need to be created, ordered and paid for, as well as making sure each leader is useful. Organizing this is another huge thing that leaders need to keep track of, and another thing that leaders need to deal with.

I'm bored, I'll do it. We could run it as a sub-game to take some of the heat off the leaders.

Could make the 4th tier a single Faction Leader. These factions heads could be more of a go-to logistics person (they could "swear in" people to the faction and carry a big bag of insignia in case people run out).

Also, you could use it as a way to thin lines. Say it costs 5 opposing insignia to challenge a leader. (No one gets to a gym without running into a few loose trainers along the way) The leaders have no extra work (other than returning collected insignia to the big bag) and their not inundated with challengers all at once because players have to go through 5 other people to get to them.
Morganstern
Two-Time Leader

Postby Heleor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am

Morganstern wrote:Also, you could use it as a way to thin lines. Say it costs 5 opposing insignia to challenge a leader. (No one gets to a gym without running into a few loose trainers along the way) The leaders have no extra work (other than returning collected insignia to the big bag) and their not inundated with challengers all at once because players have to go through 5 other people to get to them.

That's much closer to what I was invisioning. I was thinking there'd be plenty of Rocket Grunts running around [all leader-sponsored] and those grunts when defeated (or when you find them, or when you do some sort of other challenge, etc) would give you an insignia or something. Leaders would require however many insignia they wish. That's what we were discussing.

The main issue I have is with the 'two teams' concept of it. It's a lot harder to advertise 'join a team, fight other members in Pokemon, eventually fighting leaders' than it is to advertise 'live out your childhood dream and challenge the PAX league'

You'll see some of what we're doing once we reveal the theme for Prime. ;)
FC 4427 3652 8893
Heleor
Four-Time Leader

Next

Return to Suggestions